Note: The VZ-7 no longer comes with the DVD because there is a QR code on the manual, sleeve, and add in kit that takes you directly to the video (on our YouTube channel)
Variable Speed Zebra, The VZ-7 is a microprocessor-controlled diagnostic tool that performs sophisticated testing with only 4 switches.
Many techs have some confusion about ECM motors and systems - and no wonder - with as many as 21 wires going to these new motors, you can't just use a voltmeter anymore for proper diagnosis.
"The prior generation of tools can help, but fall far short of giving the tech complete information on why a system isn't operating correctly."
The VZ-7 is a microprocessor-controlled diagnostic tool that performs sophisticated testing with only 4 switches. With it, a tech will be able to:
- Visually monitor signal calls from the furnace/air handler circuit boards.
- Interrupt those signals and send the motor any signals you desire, to observe motor operation.
- Get a visual display of motor RPM and the calculated CFM (on most systems).
- Get a visual readout of all 4 system "taps". These selections help set up a system correctly.
- Get a direct readout of the control voltage in the motor (low voltage here causes erratic operation).
- And finally, IF a problem is traced to the motor, one switch press starts an automatic analysis to clearly indicate if the problem is in the motor's electronics, or one of 7 possible winding problems.
GE, who makes a large share of these motors, reports that 41% of the motors returned to their factory actually have "no problem found". That means someone made an expensive misdiagnosis; it also means the real problem has not been corrected by replacing the motor. Almost any mistake in diagnosis on an ECM system will cost the Tech (or his customer) much more than this tool does!
- Microprocessor controlled, but easy-to-use; only 4 switches
- Rugged case with carry handle and lead storage compartment
- Full-Color sleeve with point-of-purchase information
- Quick-reference card bonded to inside lid of case
- Package Weight: 2.2 lbs each
- Standard Carton: 4 or 12 pieces
- One year limited warranty